Braised Cardamom Cabbage and Pork
I’ve found that cabbage and pork go really well together, and this dish combines those flavors along with the slightly tangy flavors of cardamom and apple. It’s a fantastic one pot meal (in fact, I often make double the recipe at the same time with 2 large saucepans)!
- 1 lb pork (tenderloin or other cut), diced
- 1 head of cabbage (can combine ½ head of green cabbage with ½ head of purple cabbage), sliced
- 1 leek, sliced (or use an onion)
- 1 apple, peeled, cored, and diced
- 1 cup (16oz or 500ml) chicken stock/broth
- ½ Tablespoon cardamom powder (note - for AIP, don't use at the beginning)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- Salt to taste
- Coconut oil to cook with
- Place 2 tablespoons of coconut oil into a large saucepan on high heat. When the oil is hot, add in the diced pork and sear the pork.
- When all the pork pieces are browned, add in the chicken stock, cabbage, leek, apple, and spices.
- Place the lid on the saucepan and simmer for 1 hour 30 minutes. Stir occasionally to ensure nothing sticks to the bottom of the saucepan.
- It's done when the pork is tender (comes apart easily). Add salt to taste and serve.