I used to love potato & leek soup growing up – it’s just so thick and hearty and delicious. Since cauliflower is such a great substitute for potatoes, I figured it would work well in the soup to give it a thick texture. And of course, I just couldn’t resist adding in some bacon!
If so, just Click Here.
So here’s my cauliflower (I used half a head):
Here they are chopped up into small pieces and placed in a large pot:
Then for the soup base, I used some of the amazing chicken broth I made a few days ago in the slow cooker (recipe here) and stored in my fridge. You can of course use canned broth if you want, but the homemade broth is definitely richer. I left that to cook on medium heat (for around 1 to 1.5 hours until very tender).
While that was cooking, I microwaved 5 strips of bacon on a microwaveable plate for 1 minute on high (place a piece of paper towel over it, so that it doesn’t splatter). Then I chopped the bacon up into small pieces – ready to add to the soup later.
Once the vegetables got very tender, it was time for the immersion blender (the handy soup-making device). If you don’t have an immersion blender, then you can strain out the vegetables and put them into a blender to blend. Once everything is blended really really well (I somehow always leave a lump), it’s time to add in the bacon pieces.
I let that simmer for about 30 minutes to get some of that delicious bacon flavor into the soup (I didn’t want to overwhelm the soup by adding it early). You can season it with salt and pepper to taste before serving. The cauliflower really thickens the soup giving that great texture that I loved in potato leek soups.
- 1/2 head of cauliflower
- 4 cups of chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 1 leek
- 5 strips of bacon
- salt + pepper to taste
- Cut the cauliflower and leek into small pieces.
- Place the cauliflower and leek into the pot with the chicken broth.
- Boil on medium heat for 1 to 1.5 hours until tender.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the vegetables to create a smooth soup. (If you don't have an immersion blender, you can take the vegetables out and puree in a normal blender and then put it back into the pot.)
- Microwave the bacon strips for 1 minute on high. Then cut into small pieces and drop into the soup.
- Cook on a low heat for 30 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.