Chocolate!! Avocado Paleo Smoothie Recipe

facebooktwittergoogle_pluspinterest Avocado paleo smoothie recipe

Why must smoothies be a breakfast/brunch recipe? I always hear of people saying they had a smoothie for breakfast, but it never made sense to me why I couldn’t also have a smoothie for lunch and dinner (and maybe a midnight snack too)! If it’s a delicious smoothie, then it should be enjoyable ANYTIME.

And this smoothie is definitely one of those “enjoy anytime” ones!

Do you want me to email this recipe to you?
If so, just Click Here.

First, let me say that if you don’t currently keep frozen unpeeled bananas in your freezer, then you are Missing Out! You don’t have to peel them first – just throw the entire bunch of bananas into the freezer. That way you can use them whenever you need them for the next several months. (If you peel the bananas before freezing them, then they will start turning brown within a few days due to oxidation.)
frozen bananas

I always leave the frozen bananas to thaw at room temperature for 10 minutes before peeling them (you can use a paring knife to cut off the skin if you can’t wait the 10 minutes). If you’re wondering why the bananas need to be frozen, it’s because you get a much creamier (more like ice-cream) texture with frozen bananas. Also, you omit the need for adding ice (which I think dilutes the flavors).

Once peeled, add the bananas, unsweetened cocoa powder, avocado, frozen raspberries, and 2 cups of almond or coconut milk into a good blender. You can drizzle a bit of raw honey in as well if you want a sweeter smoothie (I didn’t think it needed any extra sweetness.) in Blend away until it’s all smooth.
Avocado Paleo Smoothie Recipe

Chocolate!! Avocado Paleo Smoothie Recipe

Rating: 51

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Total Time: 10 minutes

Yield: 2 servings

Serving Size: 1 large glass

Chocolate!! Avocado Paleo Smoothie Recipe

Ingredients

• 1 avocado
  • 2 frozen bananas
  • 1/2 cup frozen raspberries (or fresh raspberries or other berries)
  • 1-2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 2 cups almond or coconut milk

Instructions

1. If you have unpeeled frozen bananas, then take the frozen bananas from the freezer and leave to thaw for 10 minutes before peeling (or cut the skin off with a paring knife).
  2. Place all the ingredients into a blender and blend well.

facebooktwittergoogle_pluspinterest

Comments

1. Ceirra says

Do you have any nutritional information for this recipe? It’s delicious btw!

2. glen says

I just made this for the kids and myself. I omitted the berries as we didnt have any. I also used filtered water as the base. I intentionally put a low volume of water in to make it extremely thick. The end result was more of a mousse-like texture than a drink. My 3 young boys and myself just sat down and enjoyed the mega-yumminess of this recipe! Even my oldest son who hates avocado’s loves it! yum yum!

3. Dan says

I always peel and cut my banana’s in half before I freeze them in zip lock bags. Generally I put 2 banana’s to one bag and lay them side by side. I stand mine in the shelf on the freezer door and once frozen they don’t stick together, so you can still take out 1/2 or one without having to hack at them, and they don’t turn brown either! Give it a go – its great imo.

• says

Hi Andrea – the recipe makes 2 servings (approx 1.5-2 American cups per serving). I usually pour it into 2 large glasses.

4. Lynn says

I just made this with the substitution of frozen strawberries for the raspberries (what I had on hand). I ended up adding 1/2 Tbsp. raw honey, and still all I can taste is the tangy avocado. Don’t get me wrong – I LOVE avocados! But, I was hoping it wouldn’t be the main taste in the smoothie. I would suggest 1/2 an avocado or maybe adding in some raw almond butter or something.

• Tammi says

After you blend it, let it sit in the fridge for 10 to 20 minutes for the avocado to blend with the rest of the ingredients. I’ve made a mousse with similar ingredients, and it tasted best when it sat, actually tasted the very best the next day. I’ve done this with any avocado smoothie, and it works.

5. sue says

Really good! Does it slways come out moose texture. Everytime I make it it does. Should I add more liquid?

• Kristen says

I used one frozen banana and one perfectly ripe non frozen banana, just bc that’s what I had (and no berries, all out), and the consistency was perrrrrfect. My little one was even able to use a straw. This was great, thanks!

• Tammi says

I made this with fresh banana and berries and added ice. I thought the thickness was perfect, just like a frosty.

6. says

Do you have any idea how long can it last in the refrigerator? Will it not affect the consistency of the smoothie even if it will stay that long in the fridge? Cause I was planning to make this and I’m the only one at home that’s why I was wondering.

• says

Hi – I haven’t tried, but I suspect it won’t last very long in the fridge as avocados tend to oxidize quickly once the skin is removed.

7. Tammi says

I just made this for me and the kids for breakfast. I added 1 teaspoon of vanilla. I used fresh ingredients instead of frozen and added ice. The consistency was perfect, and my kids (ages 3 and 5) are already asking for seconds. Thanks for the recipe!

8. says

Hi, I have recently discovered (stumbled on) the whole Paelo diet and I must say i’m hooked. I have been looking for some new recipes to try and found your site and as a lover of Avocados this recipe looks great! im going to try it this weekend
    Thanks
    Jane :-)

9. julia says

Just wondering could you freeze this recipe in batches and then take them out the night before as a snack to bring for work? Looking for smoothie recipes that would survive an hours car journey to work and no refrigerator til my 5min 11 o clock break!