Bacon, Brussels Sprouts and Collard Greens (the “BBC”)
Ok, this is simple and delicious and a fantastic way to eat more veggies! Instead of writing this dish’s horrifically long name every time, it shall henceforth be called the BBC! I’m actually eating a bowl of the BBC with 2 fried eggs as I write this.
This dish is so easy, I didn’t bother taking any photos until the end! In fact, I’m sure there are many similar (if not identical) dishes out there.
- 1 lb bacon slab, diced and cooked
- 2 lbs Brussels sprouts
- 4 cups chopped collard greens
- 6 cups of water
- Place all the ingredients into a large pot with the lid on and set to simmer.
- Stir every 20 minutes for 80 minutes.
- Take the vegetables and bacon out, but keep the water.
- You can serve just the vegetables and bacon, or you can serve as a stew/soup by adding the water it was cooked in back in.
- Note: don't store the vegetables and bacon with the water!