I often feel that people are confused about the Paleo Diet. They either think we only eat raw foods (which I guess there are some Paleo people that do so) or else we only eat meat!
If you’re one of those confused people, then I’m sorry to disappoint you…I eat plenty of cooked foods, and I LOVE vegetables (I know it’s shocking)!
Most people on a Paleo diet (like me) believe that vegetables do provide us with a huge amount of vitamins and minerals that we might not otherwise get (especially if we only eat muscle meats rather than liver, kidney or other organ meats). Plus, I grew up eating tons of vegetables and simply love the taste of them. Note that does not mean I enjoy bland boiled vegetables (like the sides they used to serve me at school for lunch).
I believe in flavorful foods, and this roasted vegetable side dish is truly flavorful!
If so, just Click Here.
So, peel and then chop up some carrots and sweet potatoes into large chunks. Place these into a pot of water and heat on high. Add some Brussels sprouts to the pot (you can also use other vegetables like parsnip or butternut squash). Boil the vegetables for around 10 minutes. This speeds up the roasting process dramatically!
After 10 minutes of boiling, strain the vegetables out and place the vegetables on a baking tray. You can use the water that the vegetables were boiled in as the base for a soup or stew so you don’t waste any of the vitamins and minerals that went into the water from the veggies.
Sprinkle spices (lots of cumin, salt, turmeric, oregano, black pepper, and garlic power) and some melted coconut oil over the vegetables and rub everything in.
Place in the oven and bake at 350F (175C) for 30 minutes until the vegetables are soft.
You can eat this as a side dish, or sometimes I like to have a whole bowl to myself for a meal!
- 2 carrots, peeled
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled
- 1 lb of Brussels sprouts
- 1/4 - 1/3 cup of cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon of turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon of garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon of dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon of sea salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 cup of coconut oil, melted
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Chop up the peeled carrots and sweet potatoes into large chunks.
- Boil the carrots, sweet potatoes and Brussels sprouts for 10 minutes.
- Strain out the vegetables and place on a baking tray.
- Sprinkle with the spices and melted coconut oil and rub everything together.
- Roast in oven for 30 minutes until soft. (i.e., a fork will easily go through the vegetables).