This is a variation (East meets West fusion) of the traditional Chinese carrots and eggs stir-fry dish. You probably won’t have come across this at any Chinese restaurants because it’s more of a home-made dish. I’ve modified the dish by using a traditional Western scrambled egg as the topping and adding in zucchinis to the carrots.
It’s a really simple and delicious dish for breakfast or brunch (and it gets more veggies into the diet!).
If so, just Click Here.
Start by peeling your carrots and zucchinis. I used 2 carrots and 2 zucchinis to make 2 bowls.
Place some coconut oil into a pan on a medium heat and add the grated zucchinis and carrots. Stir them frequently to make sure they don’t stick to the bottom.
Meanwhile, scramble some eggs. I used 5 eggs. Here, the scrambling technique is crucial if you don’t want to end up with dry, overcooked eggs!
I first discovered the joys of good scrambled eggs from Gordon Ramsey (here’s the video if you have time to watch it). I’ve modified it so that I use only coconut oil and eggs. The basics to the technique are:
- Don’t whisk the eggs beforehand and don’t add salt until after they’re cooked.
- Stir frequently while keeping the eggs on a low to medium heat.
- Do Not overcook the eggs! That means, when the eggs are still a little bit sticky, take them off the heat – they are done! Look at the end of the video if you want to see how the eggs should look when they’re done.
This will give you creamy and soft scrambled eggs even without adding in butter or cream!
Once the carrots and zucchinis have been cooking for around 10 minutes, they should be pretty soft. Add a tablespoon of coconut aminos or tamari sauce. Read this article for why tamari sauce is Paleo.
Then add salt and pepper to taste. You can also add in a teaspoon of ginger powder if you want.
Then for plating, use a bowl and put the carrot and zucchini stir-fry at the bottom and top with the scrambled eggs.
Everything is done in around 20 minutes, and it’s so much better than just boring scrambled eggs!
- 2 carrots, peeled and grated
- 2 zucchinis (Italian squash), peeled and grated
- 5 eggs
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos or tamari sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil (for cooking in)
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder (optional)
- Stir-fry the grated carrots and zucchinis in a tablespoon of coconut oil on medium heat. Stir often to make sure it doesn't stick to the pan.
- Add the other tablespoon of coconut oil to a saucepan on a low to medium heat and crack all 5 eggs into the saucepan. Stir the eggs to break them apart in the pan. Do not whisk the eggs beforehand.
- Keep stirring the eggs frequently on the low to medium heat to make scrambled eggs.
- When the eggs are done (i.e., still moist but fairly solid), add salt and pepper to the eggs and take off the heat.
- Then, add 1 tablespoon coconut aminos or tamari sauce, salt and pepper, and 1 teaspoon ginger powder (optional) to the carrots and zucchinis.
- Place the carrots and zucchinis into the bottom of a bowl and top with the scrambled eggs.