Kale for breakfast!
I was intrigued by the red kale at Whole Foods last night, so this recipe is made with red kale, but you can totally substitute for another variety of kale (I had no idea there were so many until I checked out wikipedia).
Here’s the red kale:
If so, just Click Here.
Then, I chopped up the kale into very small pieces:
Then I chopped up some chives:
I added the chopped kale and chives to the whisked eggs along with some almond/coconut milk, salt, and pepper.
The muffin cups need to be greased with coconut oil first and then filled up 2/3 of the way with the egg mixture (not too full because it’ll rise and flow over!).
Or, if you want to be fancy, you can make some prosciutto cups by wrapping a slice of prosciutto around the inside of each muffin cup like so:
Bake for 30 minutes at 350F (175C) and enjoy with a nice cuppa tea or coffee. You can store them in the freezer to keep for breakfast on subsequent days too,
- 6 eggs
- ½ cup almond or coconut milk
- 1 cup kale, finely chopped
- ¼ cup chives, finely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 slices of prosciutto (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350
- Whisk the eggs and add in the chopped kale and chives. Also add in the almond/coconut milk, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
- Grease 8 muffin cups with coconut oil or line each cup with a prosciutto slice.
- Divide the egg mixture between the 8 muffin cups. Fill only ⅔ of each cup as the mixture rises when it's baking.
- Bake in oven for 30 minutes.
- Let cool a few minutes and then lift out carefully with a fork. Note that the muffins will sink a bit.