This is The Most Perfect Muffins EVER! You can’t tell it’s made from Zero Grains! I got so excited after making these that I decided to taste-test them on some non-Paleo friends and got a great reception from them. Two of them asked for the recipe (doing a little dance now).
Of course, there’s a secret ingredient to the recipe that makes the muffins so much fluffier and more like wheat-based muffins.
If so, just Click Here.
The ingredients are pretty simple: almond flour, baking powder, baking soda, ghee, eggs, honey, chocolate chips, and … the secret ingredient…a little bit of whey protein powder. If you’re concerned that whey protein is not Paleo or Primal or good for you, then I’d suggest you read Mark Sisson’s article on this…in fact Mark even sells whey protein powder! So, unless you’re super lactose intolerant, there’s no harm to adding this ingredient to your baking arsenal.
I also want to thank Carolyn Ketchum (from All Day I Dream About Food) for first introducing me to the possibilities of baking with whey protein powder, and in fact, this muffin recipe is based on her almond crusted butter cake recipe.
This recipe makes exactly 12 muffins using this silicone muffin pan. Let me know if you love this recipe as much as I do!
- 3 cups almond flour
- 1/3 cup whey protein powder (chocolate or vanilla flavored or unflavored)
- 1.5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup ghee, melted
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup raw honey
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 300F.
- Mix all the ingredients together (you don't need a whisk) except for the chocolate chips.
- Add in the chocolate chips to the mixture last.
- Place into a muffin pan (makes 12 muffins).
- Bake in oven for 35 minutes.