Paleo Thai Chicken and “Rice”
This is a really easy Thai Chicken and “Rice” recipe – I was inspired to make it after eating Thai chicken and rice (non-Paleo) at Nong’s Khao Man Gai in Portland.
If so, just Click Here.
How to Make Paleo Thai Chicken and Cauliflower “Rice”
I started by making the “rice” (by the way, I’ve posted several cauliflower rice recipes before here and here). I broke an entire head of cauliflower into small florets and food processed it until it became rice-like (I did it in 2 batches). Make sure there isn’t much water in the food processor or it’ll come out more like cauliflower mash!
Place the cauliflower rice into a large pan with coconut oil and cook the cauliflower rice. Note that 1 head of cauliflower makes a lot of rice, so you need a really large pan (or make it in several batches). I also scrambled a few eggs in a separate pan and added it into the cauliflower rice for extra nutrition (this can be omitted for AIP recipes)!
Then I spiced up the rice with some chopped chilies (can omit for AIP recipes), crushed garlic, and ginger.
Now comes the chicken. I had precooked the chicken in the slow cooker (in order to make chicken broth to go with the chicken and rice) (recipe here), but you can use some grilled chicken breast or any cooked chicken meat. If you don’t have cooked chicken meat, then start this recipe by cooking some (you can pan-fry some quickly using this recipe).
Shred chicken meat, and add to the rice when the “rice” is soft.
Last bit. Add in salt to taste (and tamari soy sauce – optional). Garnish with some chopped cilantro. It’s great to serve with a bowl of Thai chicken broth (recipe here) as well.
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1 Tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 3 eggs (can omit for AIP)
- 3 chilies (can omit for AIP) - pick your favorite
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- Meat from a whole chicken (or use 3-4 cooked chicken breasts), shredded
- Salt to taste
- Coconut oil to cook with
- 1 Tablespoon coconut aminos or tamari soy sauce (optional)
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped (for garnish)
- Break the cauliflower into florets and food process until it forms a rice-like texture (may need to be done in batches).
- Place the cauliflower into a large pan with coconut oil and cook the cauliflower rice (may need to be done in 2 pans or in batches). Keep the heat on medium and stir regularly.
- In a separate pan, scramble the eggs in some coconut oil. Add the scrambled eggs to the cauliflower rice.
- Add in the ginger, garlic, and the chopped chilies.
- When the cauliflower rice is soft, add in the shredded chicken meat.
- Add in the coconut aminos/tamari soy sauce and salt to taste. Mix well.
- Garnish with cilantro.
- Best served with a bowl of Thai chicken broth as well (recipe here).