Paleo Thick Scalloped Sweet Potatoes
“My dream is to become a farmer. Just a Bohemian guy pulling up his own sweet potatoes for dinner.” ~ Lenny Kravitz
I’ve never dreamed of becoming a farmer, but I have often wanted to live in the countryside. There’s something alluring about being surrounded by nature and having space all around you.
So far, the closest I’ve come to living in the countryside was when I stayed near a forest with a lake during a stint at the Max Planck Institute in Stuttgart, Germany. I only ever walked through the forest twice during my entire stay!
I guess I’m just a city girl (who has never ever dug up her own sweet potatoes for dinner, although I hope to do so one day!).
This recipe is a very different take on the traditional scalloped potatoes, which is typically thinly sliced potatoes baked with cheese and cream. In fact, I only called it “scalloped” because I couldn’t come up with a better name for it! You can serve it as a side or as an appetizer.
I started by boiling the sweet potatoes with the skin on until they were pretty soft (you can check by poking a fork into it). Once boiled, let them cool a bit and then cut them into thick chunks (approx 1/2 inch to 1 inch thick).
Meanwhile, heat up some olive oil in a skillet on medium and throw some finely chopped parsley and a few sprigs of thyme into it.
Place the sweet potatoes slices into the oil.
Sprinkle the slices in the skillet with salt and cook for 5 minutes. Then flip the slices, sprinkle some salt on top, and cook for another 5 minutes.
Let the slices cool a bit before removing the skins (I found keeping the skins intact until they come out of the skillet helped the sweet potato slices to keep their shape, but you can remove the skin before placing the sweet potato slices into the skillet).
You can of course also make this with potatoes (for why they’re ok on a Paleo diet, read this article: Why Aren’t Potatoes Paleo?).
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 2 Tablespoons of parsley, finely chopped
- 3 sprigs of thyme
- salt to taste
- extra virgin olive oil to cook in
- Boil the sweet potatoes with the skin on in water until they're tender.
- Let the sweet potatoes cool, then cut them into thick slices (approx. ½ inch to 1 inch thick).
- Place 2 Tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil into a skillet and add in the parsley and thyme to flavor the oil.
- Place the sweet potato slices carefully into the skillet. Sprinkle some salt on it. Cook for 5 minutes, then flip over each slice, sprinkle a bit more salt, and cook the other side for another 5 minutes.
- Let cool and remove the skin.