I’ve been making this chili forever now, and it’s about high time I shared it with everyone. I like to tweak the recipe a little each time I make it, and this is the raspberry liver variation. And the best part is that everything just goes into the crockpot, and 8 hours later it’s delicious! I like to make a large batch to eat for several days, but you can of course scale the recipe down (also make sure your crockpot can hold so much meat – I use this 6-quart one from Amazon).
If so, just Click Here.
I start by putting the cans of diced tomatoes (you can use fresh ones of course!) and the tomato paste into the crockpot.
Then I add in all the veggies (there’s some diced Italian squash shown in this photo) and the raspberries.
Here’s some diced orange peppers too.
Then add the liver, ground grassfed beef, and all the great spices in and mix well.
Cook in the crockpot on the low setting for 8 hours. The raspberry flavor isn’t intense, but it does add a bit of subtlety, and the raspberries will have disappeared (the seeds are still there). The herbs and spices and the vegetables all add great flavors, which drown out the taste of liver quite a bit. So it’s another great way of sneaking in highly nutritious liver without spoiling any enjoyment! Enjoy by itself or with some Paleo bread (super simple recipe here). Print out the entire recipe below and let me know what you think in the comments!
- 3 lb grassfed ground beef
- 1 lb ground liver
- 3 cans (14.5oz) diced tomatoes
- 2 cans (6oz) tomato paste
- 1 lb raspberries
- 2 orange bell peppers, diced
- 2 chili peppers, deseeded and diced
- 2 Italian squash, diced,
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (or use 2 tablespoons garlic powder)
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- Mix everything together well in your 6-quart crockpot. Scale down the recipe if you have a smaller crockpot.
- Cook on low setting for 8 hours (stir after 4 hours if you can).
- Add salt to taste.