Seared Scallops with Beet Relish Recipe – Guest Post
This is a recipe from Dr. Loren Cordain’s new book, The Real Paleo Diet Cookbook, which contains 250 delicious, 100% Paleo recipes, coupled with the scientific evidence suggesting why each dish is comprised of the best ingredients to attain optimal health. You can order it on Amazon here.
- 1 lb fresh or frozen sea scallops, patted dry with paper towels
- 3 medium red beets, peeled and cut chopped
- ½ of a Granny Smith apple, peeled and chopped
- 2 jalapenos, stemmed, seeded, and minced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 Tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 4 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Ground white pepper
- Thaw scallops, if frozen.
- For beet relish, in a medium bowl combine beets, apple, jalapenos, cilantro, onion, 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, and lime juice. Mix well. Set aside while preparing scallops.
- Rinse scallops; pat dry with paper towels. In a large skillet heat the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium high heat. Add scallops; saute for 4 to 6 minutes or until golden brown on the exterior and barely opaque. Sprinkle scallops lightly with white pepper.
- To serve, divide beet relish evenly among serving plates; top with scallops. Serve immediately.
Note: the recipe and images are courtesy of Houghton Mifflin and The Paleo Diet, who retain all copyright.