I had a bunch of uncooked bacon left over from when I made the avocado bacon explosion, and I wanted to use it in a dish that didn’t involve frying more bacon! And so I turned to the slow cooker. But what would it go well with in the slow cooker, I pondered…chicken!
I always find chicken breast rather dry (I wasn’t even all that impressed with the white meat of Thomas Keller’s Poulet Roti!), and so I thought the fat from the bacon would help moisten the chicken. I was not wrong. The bacon (and the olive oil) kept the chicken moist and flavorful!
This was one of the fastest dishes I have ever made – I dumped 5 raw chicken breasts, 10 slices of bacon (raw), 2 tablespoons of rosemary, 2 tablespoons of thyme, 1 tablespoon of oregano, 2 tablespoons of olive oil (I really like this olive oil), and 1 tablespoon of salt into the slow cooker (I use the Hamilton Beach slow cooker) and mixed everything together briefly, then set it to cook for 8 hours on low. This was the result (after pouring out the liquid).
Then I shredded the meat and added a bit more olive oil.
If so, just Click Here.
I served it with a simple but refreshing cucumber salad (recipe here), which went really well with the shredded bacon & chicken.
- 5 chicken breasts
- 10 slices of bacon
- 2 tablespoons thyme (dried)
- 1 tablespoon oregano (dried)
- 1 tablespoon rosemary (dried)
- 5 tablespoons olive oil (2 tablespoons for the slow cooker and 3 tablespoons after cooking)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Place all the ingredients into a slow cooker pot and mix together.
- Cook on the low temperature setting for 8 hours.
- Shred the meat and mix with 3 tablespoons of olive oil.