I had gone out grocery shopping only to return to this amazing smell in my apartment. I was wondering who was cooking on my floor and whether the aroma was flowing through my vent system when it hit me that it was MY PORK! I had put it into the slowcooker earlier in the morning, and completely forgotten about it. Of course, that’s the beauty of the slow cooker – you can totally just forget all about it!
As with all my slow cooker recipes, this one is pretty dang simple!
If so, just Click Here.
All you need is some pork shoulder (this is a 2 lb pork shoulder collar I got from my butchers). Then I added a few spices to it (ginger powder, salt, Szechuan peppercorns) and a few prunes. DO NOT ADD ANY LIQUID!
Set the slow cooker (I have this Hamilton Beach one) for 8 hours on a low heat and forget about it.
If you remember, turn the pork after around 5-6 hours but don’t pull it apart, just flip it over so the top is on the bottom. You’ll see that there’s lots of juice in the slow cooker. After 8 hours, the pork is so tender. Just pull off the meat and serve with the juice that’s in the slow cooker (just make sure to pick out those peppercorns as they’re not pleasant to eat).
- 2 lb pork shoulder (or pork shoulder collar)
- 1 tablespoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon ginger powder
- 1 tablespoon Szechuan peppercorns
- 4 prunes (optional)
- Place the pork into the slow cooker (do not cut up).
- Sprinkle the spices onto the meat.
- Add the prunes.
- Set slow cooker for 8 hours on low heat setting.
- Turn meat over after 6 hours but do not pull apart meat.