The Ultimate Paleo Coffee

facebooktwittergoogle_pluspinterest THE ULTIMATE PALEO Coffee recipe

Watch the Bloopers at the End!

This coffee is what I’ve been loving recently! And I’m showing you how to make it in my very first video on YouTube – I even designed my channel art last night (*feeling smug*).

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel here or click the link the video – I have more videos in the pipeline, including one on my favorite salad.

A Few Quick Tips on How to Make Paleo Coffee

1. Start slow – by this, I mean that if you’re not used to eating much fat, then I would put in just 1 teaspoon of ghee + 1 teaspoon of coconut oil initially until your body adjusts after a few weeks.
    2. Use good ghee – this is the ghee I use (it tastes absolutely AMAZING – in fact, I love licking my spoon after scooping the ghee out)! Pure Indian Foods Grassfed Organic Cultured Ghee
      paleo cultured gheeYou might be wondering why cultured ghee, so this is what Pure Indian Foods say is special about “Cultured Ghee” as opposed to “normal ghee:”

Link
      “Milk contains lactose, a natural sugar which gives it that delicate sweet taste. In order for the body to breakdown lactose, an enzyme called lactase must be present. Many people lack this valuable enzyme in their digestive system causing a common digestive problem known as lactose intolerance. In order to metabolize lactose, lactase must always be present. During the culturing of milk or cream, lactose is converted into lactic acid. This makes for a much more digestible product for many people. Remember, generally ghee does not cause a problem with lactose intolerance. This is because during the ghee making process, the lactose is removed even if the butter used to make the ghee was not made from fermented cream.Cultured Ghee is known as Desi Ghee in India, where the word desi means prepared with indigenous method. Please note that this product is not a source of live and active cultures.”
    3. Blending makes it frothy – you don’t have to blend the coffee to get the amazing health benefits, but it does help with flavor and look (blending makes it look like it’s a cappuccino, otherwise it just looks like oil floating on top!). You can actually just blend the coffee with some coconut oil, and you’ll get a similar look, although it won’t taste as creamy.

how to make paleo coffee

1. Add in coconut or almond milk – to make the coffee even more frothy, add some coconut or almond milk in before blending.
  2. It works with Tea – that’s right. Even if you hate coffee, you can still make this same drink with black tea. I found the spices in Earl Grey to complement the creamy ghee flavors the best, but any black tea will work well. Just remember to blend it!

how to make paleo coffee

How I got started on blending my coffee: As I mentioned in my previous post, Dave Asprey from Bulletproof Exec got me started on this recent coffee craze :) He tells his wonderful story of how he discovered bulletproof coffee and how he makes it here.

Let me know in the comments below how you like to make your Paleo coffee!

facebooktwittergoogle_pluspinterest

Comments

1. harry says

Hi Louise,
    Way to go on a great first video. I like the coffee with ghee, but did not try adding coconut oil. Am now looking forward to it. And I laughed at the flying spoon outtake! Keep ‘em coming.
    Harry

2. William says

Louise,
    Will get the ghee today and try it during the Ravens game this afternoon.
    William

3. says

Great looking video, however, the music plays over the audio, and I can’t hear you speak. I hope that it’s just me, but I thought you’d want to know.

• says

Thanks Rachael – I noticed the problem and I’m fixing it in all future videos. It’s only a problem if you have more than 1 speaker I think or if you’re using earphones). The voice and music is coming out of the left speaker, but the music is coming out of the right speaker without any voice. Thanks for letting me know!

• says

Thanks Lisa – Dave was the one who got me on this current coffee craze after meeting him on a cruise earlier this year. Thanks for posting his link – I also mentioned him in a previous post about coffee – http://paleomagazine.com/paleo-primer-book-review/

He’s definitely popularized this way of drinking coffee, but the idea is much older and Dave says he got the idea from seeing Tibetans drink yak butter in their tea! Tea definitely tastes good to this way too :)

4. Bonnmom says

I have been using coconut oil and coconut butter in my coffee. It was good but I never thought of blending it. How genius! I had it with all 3 this morning, the ghee too. Yum. But coconut butter is also a good substitute if you’re out of the other too. Whipping it is the key.

5. Louise says

Amazing! I use a French Press for really strong coffee. The frothiness and delicious flavor really surprised me. I’m completely hooked!
    Thanks!

Louise

6. Karie says

This is so awesome! I love coffee like this – I feel so awake and alive when I drink it! I also love to add cinnamon, vanilla and a bit of organic raw honey. It’s lovely:)

7. Dagmar Dolatschko says

I’ve started adding a dash of cinnamon to coffee or black tea. The idea with the blender is great because it would probably mix up the cinnamon better – otherwise it tends to float.
    You could also add a dash of pure cocoa powder (not sweetened).
    Cinnamon is good for so many things – besides, it tastes good.

8. Louise Gagne says

Hi Louise:
    I just found you. Love that you made the video and I can see just how you did this.
    I cannot drink caffeine in any form. How would this be in decaffeinated coffee? I want to try this because just drinking coffee is so boring and I think it would be marvelous to try. I love
    Ghee and coconut oil.
    Thanks, Louise

• says

Hi Louise – decaf works fine! So does decaf black tea or rooibos red tea (which is naturally caffeine free).

9. Catherine says

Hi, Louise – I’m having trouble finding a small, personal blender that can handle hot liquids. What kind are you using in the video? I don’t want to use (and clean) my big one every day. Thanks so much – this coffee has changed my life!

• says

Hi Catherine – I’m just using a magic bullet. Another option is a small milk frother (they’re very cheap and you just froth the drink the cup you’re going to be drinking from so there’s no extra washing up).

10. says

I’m still not too sure what the difference between regular and cultured ghee is. I’ve never worked with ghee but I certainly want to taste it. Does it taste. better than butter, or similar? What is the typical fat breakdown in one tbsp? Can I use a handheld frother to make bulletproof beverages instead of a blender?