Homemade Vanilla Chocolate Rooibos Tea Recipe [Paleo, Keto, AIP]
When my friend Laura first took me to a Teavana store 6-7 years ago, I couldn’t quite understand the point of the place. Every tea was a mix of flavors. Nothing was pure.
I believed all the additional flavors detracted from the citrusy fragrance of an earl grey or the smokey deliciousness of a lapsang souchong.
Over time, I was transformed. And in particular, I fell in love with flavored rooibos teas.
So much so that I started making my own rooibos blends! Like this homemade vanilla chocolate rooibos tea blend.
What Is Rooibos Tea
I love rooibos tea (aka bush tea or redbush tea). Here are some facts about rooibos tea:
- It’s caffeine-free.
- It naturally has a light fruity flavor that’s reminiscent of black tea.
- It’s technically not a tea but are made using leaves from the Aspalathus linearis plant. The leaves are fermented, which turns them into this reddish-brown color.
- Because rooibos not technically a tea, the brewing temperature for rooibos tea is hotter than regular tea – 90-100 Celsius (194-212 Fahrenheit) brewing temperature
- Traditionally, rooibos has been enjoyed in South Africa for years.
- Rooibos tea has many potential benefits. It’s packed with antioxidants like aspalathin and nothofagin and may even have beneficial cardiovascular effects. In particular, aspalathin may have anti-diabetic potential as well.
Homemade Vanilla Chocolate Rooibos Tea Recipe
This recipe is really easy to make, and you can scale it up to make an entire pot if you want.
I used 100% dark chocolate powder (use carob powder for AIP, Paleo Autoimmune Protocol), a dash of vanilla extract, and little bit of shredded coconut to add a slight twist. Ginger (fresh ginger slices or ginger powder) or cinnamon (stick or powder) can also be added for a delicious tea.
Add all the ingredients into a tea strainer.
Add boiling hot water to tea strainer. Use very hot water (90-100 degrees Celsius (194-212 Fahrenheit)).
Steep the tea for 5-10 minutes.
Homemade Vanilla Chocolate Rooibos Tea Recipe – Pinterest Image
Please pin this image below to your pinterest board to save this recipe.
- Place the rooibos tea, cacao powder, shredded coconut, and vanilla extract into a tea strainer or infuser.
- Add boiling hot water into the cup with the tea.
- Brew the rooibos tea for 5-10 minutes.
- Remove the tea strainer and enjoy.