What do you eat if you don’t eat bread? – My Paleo Wedding Menu

facebooktwittergoogle_pluspinterest wedding planning gluten free paleo

I hate how some people think that Paleo is not delicious to eat.

Have you ever had people ask you: “What do you eat if you don’t eat bread?”

I get asked this a lot, and my reaction is usually a fake laugh while inside my head, I’m thinking “ARE YOU CRAZY??”

But they’re not crazy, because we’re so bombarded by the food industry with crappy food that we forget what truly good food really is. One of my first reactions to Paleo many moons ago was: “What can you eat if there’s no cereal for breakfast, sandwich for lunch, and pasta for dinner?”

I was faced again with this issue when planning my wedding (which is this Saturday). I have 60 non-Paleo family and friends attending, and they’re probably all wondering “ARE THEY GOING TO SERVE ME JUST BACON AND SWEET POTATOES?” (That’s a pretty delicious image, but not really wedding style.)

So, I had to go in search of a caterer who would cook a scrumptiously delicious and visibly beautiful wedding meal. Many of you probably think that was seriously difficult. After all, it’s hard to even find a single Paleo restaurant to eat at!

But it was surprisingly not hard at all, and Joshua Charles is the man who is making my wedding so special. I can’t thank him and Marian enough for making our Paleo Wedding dream become reality. (His team is even going to cook EVERYTHING in olive oil, coconut oil, or butter/ghee!)

In case you don’t believe me, here is the menu and some photos from the tasting (courtesy of my good friends, Caroline and Wayne, who did the tasting in California for us while we were still in NYC).

Passed Appetizers

paleo wedding passed appetizers
Lemongrass Braised Pork Belly
Chilled Melon Soup Shooters
Kampachi Tartar Spoons with Kaffir Lime
Gravlax of Arctic Char with Eggplant Caponata and Black Pepper Creme Fraiche

Main Courses (carving station)

paleo wedding grilled lamb
Grilled Herb Marinated Bavette Steak
Grilled Leg Loin of Marin Lamb

Main Courses (non-carving station)

Leg of duck confit with dried cherry-grainy mustard glaze, over sauteed pea vines
Rosemary skewered Alaskan Halibut cheeks, grilled and served with with arugula, preserved lemon, and green olives

Sides and Salads

paleo wedding Summer ratatouille and goat cheese bake
Summer ratatouille and goat cheese bake – Heirloom eggplant, peppers, and zucchini stewed with tomatoes and baked under a goat cheese crust (we normally only eat raw or fermented dairy, but we’re making an exception)

paleo wedding roasted baby beets salad
Roasted baby beets with chevre, parsley and shallots – Organic gold, pink, and purple baby beets dressed in lemon vinaigrette with crumbled Laura Chenel goat cheese

paleo wedding butter lettuce salad
Butter lettuce with aged balsamic vinegar, strawberries, mint, and candied pecans

Sushi Bar action station

Fresh fish and vegetable nigiri sushi and maki rolls (yes, there will be some white rice in this…but it’s not the worst thing)

Dessert??

We’re really unwilling to compromise and have even a gluten-free cake – yep, you read that correctly, there will be NO WEDDING CAKE. Instead, “dessert” will consist of 4 wine and food tastings, a dark chocolate tasting (3 different chocolates), and a tea sampling with 8-10 different teas to choose from.

Wine and Food Pairings

I’ll post a more detailed post on this after the wedding, but we’ve got oysters and champagne, walnuts & stilton with port, and more!

OMG – I’m so excited just looking at this menu again! Don’t get me wrong, we did have to compromise on a few issues. For example, we are having cheese (many of them raw cheeses though) and sushi, as well as plenty of alcohol of course and several specialty cocktails (although we refused to supply ANY soda regardless of whether it had corn syrup or cane sugar)!

Spread the Message – Paleo is DELICIOUS!

If you know someone who thinks Paleo is full of crappy food and that there couldn’t be any good food without grains and processed sugars, then PLEASE PLEASE send them this menu created by Joshua Charles.

Click the Tweet button above to let everyone know you don’t eat crap.

And let me know below what you think of the menu in the comments below!

PS – the amazing photo at the top of this post is by one of Jeremy’s close friends from high school, who has now become one of THE BEST photographers in the Atlanta area. He’s flying out with his fiancee to take our wedding photos too. You can find more of our engagement photos at http://jasonhalesphotography.com.

facebooktwittergoogle_pluspinterest

Comments

1. says

Your menu sounds amazing and I can’t imagine your guests being disappointed. Hope your wedding day goes well and best of luck to you!

2. lisa brown says

Oh my word! All your choices sounds like heaven on a
    plate!! Congrats and it’s going to be a gourmet feast for all
    involved. :)

3. Sammi Ford says

That menu looks deliciously fantabulous! Congrats and all
    the best on your wedding day and thereafter :)

4. Carol says

Wow – some of that I don’t even know what it is – but it sounds wonderful. Have a great wedding!

5. says

That is an AMAZING sounding menu! I don’t think you would even miss the bread etc with that gorgeous food.
    I hope your wedding day is just as amazing as well.

6. says

Congratulations on your impending nuptials!

Now, I wish I were invited! I’d love to have a go at that whole menu. You gonna offer up recipes later? Of course, I totally love the meat, but every single one of those side dishes looks like something I’d like to try.

Best wishes! :)

7. julie rodgers says

The menu looks great,and I’m sure will taste the same.I wish you a wonderful sunny day,all the very best wishes Louise.

8. joanna says

geez, your wedding menu is awesome. i’d love to go to a paleo wedding! I’ve been to a vegan wedding once and the food was great. at the time, I was a raw vegan so I was at least happy there were salads.

i’d kill for some of that lamb!!! I recently started cooking with it and am in love.

definitely post pictures of you and your future husband!! can’t wait to see your dress. have fun, louise!

9. sandra says

your wedding menu sounds fantastic ,im still new to paleo so still not quit sure what i can and cannot eat ,but never mind i will get to know , have a wonderful day on saturday .

10. Christie says

Fabulous menu! Lucky you! Congratulations on the wedding. We are now exclusively Paleo and the meals I make are the BEST ever. My husband loves everything! It is not hard to do. (Although, I do spend a lot of time in the kitchen!) At 64 I have never felt so healthy! Thanks for all you do to make this easier. Have a beautiful day!

11. Shannon says

OMYword! Your menu is lovely! Surely everyone is guaranteed to enjoy every morsil !
    The pictures are phenomenal.
    Congratulations bride to be!

12. Janet Kolver says

What a beautiful selection of fine food!
    Not only visually appealing but also blending wonderful flavours.
    I think your non-paleo guests are going to be very pleasantly surprised.
    Best wishes to you and hubby to be <3

13. Lea says

Louise It all looks and sounds beautiful and elegant . I
    wish you and your husband many decades of happiness
    together.

14. Ingrid Derks says

Dear Louise,
    I am very impressed. And my congratulations!
    It takes time to learn a lot about Paleo living but it is certainly doable. Thanks for
    communication to keep us informed. We do need this!!
    Sincerely, Ingrid Derks

15. says

I feel like my palate has expanded since going Paleo-there’s so much more great food to eat when you move away from an industrial food diet. I love that you aren’t doing a wedding cake, which I’ve never been a fan of anyway, and wine and chocolate sound perfect. Congratulations on your marriage!

16. says

The belief that Paleo is so not delicious is probably the main reason I started my food blog. I wasn’t showing enough people through a Facebook group and needed to show the world that my Paleo meals are better tasting than most of their non – Paleo food.

Looks like an amazing menu! Good work on showing the world!