From the October/November 2016 issue
- 2 TBSP extra-virgin olive or coconut oil, divided use
- 1 pound ground turkey or chicken sausage
- 2 medium plantains, yellow-brown to brown, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 medium Gala or Pink Lady apples, cored and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet (preferably cast-iron) over medium-high heat.
- Add the sausage and cook, crumbling up with a wooden utensil, until cooked through and no longer pink.
- Transfer to a bowl.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the remaining oil to the skillet along with the plantains.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the plantains begin to soften and brown a bit.
- Add the apples, onions, and cinnamon. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove the lid and continue cooking until the apples and onions are tender.
- Return the sausage to the pan and stir gently to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.