From the August/September 2019 issue
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 16 minutes
- 2 TBSP avocado oil, divided use
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 medium-size sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 cups kale, chopped, after thick stems removed
- 2 small apples, cored and diced
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 12 large eggs, whisked
*Optional, for topping: Hot sauce and sliced avocado
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the avocado oil In a large skillet set over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sweet potato. Stir to combine.
- Add the water, cover, and cook until the sweet potato is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the kale, apple, cinnamon, ginger, cumin, garlic powder, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes. Remove the hash to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- To the same skillet, add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil. Add the eggs and cook, stirring constantly, until scrambled and cooked to your liking, about 2-4 minutes.
- Serve the hash with the scrambled eggs, topped with avocado and hot sauce, if desired.