From the April/May 2017 issue
For the frittata:
- 2 TBSP extra-virgin olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 8 ounces diced ham
- 2 TBSP chopped fresh chives
- 8 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
For the pesto:
- 2 cups (packed) baby arugula
- 1/4 cup walnuts, toasted
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or finely grated
- 2 TBSP fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
Make the frittata:
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large oven-safe skillet.
- Add the asparagus and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chives and ham. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl whisk together the eggs, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Pour the egg mixture over the asparagus and ham.
- Cook undisturbed for 1-2 minutes until just set around the edges.
- Carefully transfer the frittata to the oven and bake for 12-15 minutes until puffed and cooked through.
While the frittata bakes, make the pesto:
- In a food processor fitted with the steel blade, combine the arugula, walnuts, garlic, lemon juice, and 1/3 cup olive oil.
- Blend until smooth, adding additional olive oil if desired for a thinner pesto.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
*Serve wedges of the frittata topped with a dollop of the pesto.