From the October/November 2018 issue
- 1 TBSP coconut oil (plus more for greasing the pan)
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 2 medium bell peppers (any color), seeded and chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced or finely grated
- 6 slices ham, chopped
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 8 large eggs
- 2-3 tsp sriracha hot sauce (optional)
- Chopped cilantro, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Lightly grease a medium sized casserole dish (such as 8×11-inch or similar size) with coconut oil.
- Heat the coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and stir-fry for 3 minutes. Add the peppers and stir-fry for 3 minutes. Add the onions, increase heat to high, and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic and stir for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Stir in the ham. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the mixture to the greased baking dish. Spread it out in an even layer. In a large bowl whisk together the eggs, hot sauce (if using), and a generous pinch of salt. Pour over the vegetable mixture. Transfer to the oven and bake for about 30 minutes or until puffed and cooked through. Let rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing. Serve garnished with cilantro if desired.