This crispy, slightly spicy, butternut squash dish makes for a perfect autumn dinner, lunch, or even breakfast.
Prep Time: 25 minutes | Cook Time: 45 minutes | Servings: 8
- 1 TBSP coconut oil (plus more for greasing)
- 1 lb mild Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 medium red bell peppers, cored, seeded, and sliced
- 1/4 cup packed basil leaves, chopped, divided use
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small butternut squash
- 1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk
- Preheat oven to 375º F. Grease a 9×13-inch baking dish. Set aside.
- Melt the coconut oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Crumble the sausage into the pan. Add the onion, peppers, half of the chopped basil, and the garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes, or until the sausage is cooked and the onions have softened. Remove pan from heat.
- With a vegetable peeler, remove the skin from the butternut squash. Cut the squash in half lengthwise, remove the seeds, then slice into 1/4-inch-thick strips.
- Lightly cover the bottom of the prepared baking dish with 1 tablespoon of the tomato sauce. Place squash slices on top of the sauce, in a single layer. Do not overlap the pieces. Spoon some of the sausage mixture over the squash, followed by some of the tomato sauce and a sprinkle of salt, pepper, and basil. Repeat until all the ingredients are used up, reserving enough sauce to cover the top of the dish.
- Pour the coconut milk gently over the top. Bake 45 minutes, or until the edges are browned and bubbling and the top is slightly crispy and browned. Cool 15 minutes before serving.