This is a simple and delicious dish that’s full of flavor and texture. Best served with fresh coriander on a bed of cauliflower rice.
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 40-50 min
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small chile pepper, finely chopped
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1-1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 cups cubed butternut squash
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- Chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
- In a large saucepan, heat the coconut oil over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and chile. Sauté for 2-3 minutes, or until onions are translucent.
- Add the paprika, turmeric, cumin, curry, and salt. Stir to combine.
- Add the butternut squash and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5-7 minutes, or until squash has browned lightly. Add additional coconut oil to the pan, if needed.
- Add the tomatoes and water. Stir to combine. Cook, uncovered, for about 40 minutes or until the squash is fork-tender. Be sure to stir the soup occasionally.
- Serve bowls of soup topped with chopped cilantro.