- 1 TBSP extra-virgin olive oil or coconut oil
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium celery stalks, chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 4-6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 (2-1/2 lb) butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup canned coconut milk (full fat), optional
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Toasted pumpkin seeds, for garnish
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the carrots, celery, and onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft
- and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, cumin, cinnamon, ginger, and turmeric. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add the squash and broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce to medium-low, cover, and
- simmer for 15-20 minutes until the squash is tender.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the soup until smooth. Alternatively, puree the soup in batches in a regular blender.
- Remove the center piece from the lid and cover the lid with several layers of kitchen towels. Use caution when pureeing hot liquids. Return the pureed soup to the pot.
- Stir in the coconut milk, if using.
- Season the soup to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish bowls of the soup with toasted pumpkin seeds.