From February/March 2016 issue
Makes about 12
- 4 large eggs
- 2 medium carrots, shredded (about 1 cup shredded carrots)
- 1 cup canned coconut milk (full fat)
- 1 TBSP honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- Coconut oil, for cooking
- Maple syrup or applesauce, for serving
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, carrots, coconut milk, honey, and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the coconut flour, tapioca flour, cinnamon, ginger, baking soda, salt, allspice, and nutmeg. Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients.
- Whisk to combine thoroughly.
- Heat about 1 tablespoon of coconut oil in a large skillet (preferably cast-iron) set over medium heat.
- Drop 1/4-cups of the batter into the skillet, using the measuring cup to spread the batter out a bit into pancake shapes. (The batter will be thick.)
- Cook the pancakes for about 3 minutes or until bubbles appear on the surface.
- Flip and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Continue cooking pancakes, adding more oil to the skillet as needed, until all of the batter has been used. Serve pancakes with maple syrup, applesauce, or your favorite toppings.