From the February/March 2018 issue
- 8 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 TBSP extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 10 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 large or 2 medium bunches kale, stemmed and chopped
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced scallions
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl combine the carrots, olive oil, paprika, and a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Toss to combine. Spread out in an even layer on the baking sheet. Roast for about 20 minutes or until soft and brown in spots.
- Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crispy. Transfer to a plate.
- Drain all but 1 tablespoon of the cooking fat from the pan.
- Add a few handfuls of kale to the skillet and cook until wilted, adding more kale as it will fit.
- Add the scallions and cook, stirring often, for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the bacon and roasted carrots.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.