Make-Ahead Cashew Cream
- 1 cup raw cashews (plus enough filtered water to submerge them)
- 1 cup filtered water
- Place cashews in a quart-sized Mason jar. Add enough water to cover the cashews by about 1 inch. Cover and soak the cashews for at least 2 hours. If soaking overnight, place the jar in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Drain and discard the soaking water. Place the cashews in a blender or food processor. Add 1 cup fresh water, and purée until smooth. Set aside.
- 1 lb asparagus, washed, ends trimmed, and roughly chopped
- 3 TBSP butter or ghee
- 2 large shallots, skins removed, diced
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup prepared cashew cream (see above)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup white wine (or 2 TBSP white wine vinegar)
- 1 cup (packed) fresh spinach leaves
- 2 TBSP lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/4 cup chopped, fresh chives, for garnish
- Place a bowl full of ice water in the sink.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the asparagus, and cook for 3 minutes. With a slotted spoon, remove the asparagus and plunge it into the bowl of ice water to arrest the cooking. Discard the cooking water.
- To the same pot set over medium heat, add the butter. When melted, add the shallots and cook, stirring occasionally, 3-4 minutes or until translucent.
- Add the asparagus back to the pot and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Add the cashew cream, chicken broth, and wine. Stir to combine, bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Stir in the spinach, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender (or blender), carefully purée the soup until smooth. Ladle soup into serving bowls and top with the chives.