From the February/March 2018 issue
- 1-3/4 cup plus 1 TBSP Otto’s Naturals Cassava Flour, plus more for rolling
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 TBSP extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 TBSP honey or maple syrup
- In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the flour and salt. In a bowl whisk together the hot water, oil, and honey. With the mixer running on low, slowly pour the liquids into the flour mixture. Beat on medium speed for about 2 minutes or until the dough is cohesive and not hot to the touch. Divide into 12 balls of equal size. Cover with plastic wrap.
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat. While the skillet heats, roll out a ball of dough into a 6-inch tortilla, dusting the dough and work surface lightly with cassava flour. (You can also roll the dough out between 2 sheets of parchment paper.)
- Place the tortilla in the skillet and cook for about 30 seconds. Flip and cook until brown spots appear on the bottom of the tortilla. Transfer to a plate and cover with aluminum foil to keep warm.
- Repeat the cooking process with the remaining tortillas. (Best served warm, but can be made in advance and kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator.)