From the December/January 2018 issue
Makes about 20
- 3 large egg whites
- 2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 TBSP fresh orange juice
- 2 TBSP finely grated orange zest
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 325ºF. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the egg whites in a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer (fitted with the whisk attachment) until soft peaks form. Stir in the coconut, honey, orange juice, orange zest, and vanilla. Roll the mixture into balls and place on the baking sheet at least 1 inch apart.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, rotating the pan once halfway through, until lightly brown and set. Cool completely.
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler. Dip the macaroons in the melted chocolate. (You can dip the tops, the bottoms, the sides at an angle—any way you’d like. Don’t coat the entire macaroon in chocolate though.) Refrigerate for 25-30 minutes or until the chocolate sets. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator or freezer