This chocolate pie is perfect for holidays, and it doesn’t take very long to make.
Makes 8 servings
- 1 cup walnut halves and pieces
- 1/4 cup (about 4) soft, pitted Medjool dates
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 cup coconut cream*
- 1/2 cup (about 8) soft, pitted Medjool dates
- 3 ounces dark chocolate, melted
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
*For the filling, use the cream at the top of a can of separated full-fat coconut milk, such as Natural Value brand (which is BPA-free). To get it to separate, refrigerate a couple of cans overnight.
- To make the crust, in a food processor with an “S” blade, purée the walnuts, dates, cinnamon, and salt for about 20 seconds or until very fine.
- Transfer the crust mixture to a glass pie dish, and press it across the bottom and halfway up the sides.
- Rinse the food processor.
- In a small saucepan, heat the coconut cream just slightly.
- Add the heated coconut cream, dates, chocolate, coconut oil, and vanilla extract to the food processor, and purée for 1 minute or until the filling is dark and completely smooth.
- Pour the filling over the crust, and chill to set. 7. When you’re ready to serve the pie, top it with Whipped Coconut Cream.
- Store the pie at room temperature.