From the June/July 2016 issue
By The Paleo Cavewoman -chelseagoldnutrition.com
- 1/2 cup water
- 7 TBSP softened ghee
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup cassava flour
- 1/4 cup arrowroot
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp coconut palm sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup frying oil
- Combine the cassava flour, arrowroot powder and salt in a small bowl.
- Over low heat, melt the ghee in the water. Once brought to a low boil, quickly add in the flour mixture. Stir quickly until a ball is formed (30 seconds).
- Remove from the heat and let cool for about 5 minutes.
- Add 1 egg at a time, stirring vigorously after each addition. The dough will look stringy and oily; that’s normal. Just keep stirring and making a ball.
- Once all of the eggs have been incorporated and the dough is well blended, spoon the dough into a piping bag.
- Heat your oil of preference in a deep pot or a deep fryer. (I use coconut oil.)
- Once the oil is hot enough, carefully pipe the dough into the hot oil.
- Fry until golden brown on each side,about 1 minute per side.
- Remove the churros from the oil and place on a plate prepared with a paper towel to absorb the extra oil.
- Mix the palm sugar and cinnamon, and sprinkle over the churros while still hot so they stick!