From the June/July 2016 issue
From the article Cultured Green Papaya Salad
By Lisa Herndon, MS, FDP-P, ACN
- 1/4 cup lime juice (about 2–3 limes)
- 1 tsp lime zest
- 2 TBSP Red Boat fish sauce
- 1 small clove garlic, minced (or fermented garlic, if available)
- 1 scallion, minced
- 1 Thai bird chili, sliced (optional)
- 1-1/2 TBSP coconut palm sugar
- 3 cups julienned green papaya flesh (or sliced into ribbons)
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced into strips (or fermented carrot, if available)
- 8 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3 TBSP chopped fresh cilantro
- Chopped, roasted cashews, for garnish (optional)
- To make the dressing, whisk together the lime juice, lime zest, fish sauce, garlic, scallion, chili and coconut palm sugar in a small bowl until the sugar has dissolved.
- In a medium bowl, toss together the papaya, carrot, tomatoes and cilantro. Drizzle the dressing over the veggies and toss to coat.
- Garnish with the cashews and serve, or cover and marinate in the fridge for an hour to allow the flavors to develop.