From the December/January 2020 issue
Prep Time: 30 mins
Cook Time: 13 mins
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted and slightly cooled
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup raw honey or pure maple syrup
- 4 oz dark chocolate chips (70% or higher)
- 1/4 cup canned full-fat coconut milk
- 2 TBSP ghee or coconut oil, plus more for greasing the pan
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a food processor, combine the coconut flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking soda, vanilla, eggs, coconut oil, lemon juice, and honey. Blend until smooth. Let the batter sit for 10 minutes at room temperature.
- Prepare 2 large donut pans by greasing with coconut oil or ghee.
- Pour batter into each donut mold 3/4-full. Bake 9-13 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in a donut comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes, then turn donuts out on a cooling rack to cool completely.
- While donuts cool, make the ganache. Place the chocolate chips in a medium, heat-safe bowl. Set aside. Place the coconut milk and ghee in a small saucepan set over medium heat. Warm until it comes just to a simmer. Pour over the chocolate chips and let sit for 3 minutes, then whisk until smooth.
- Dip the top half of the cooled donuts into the ganache, letting any excess drip off. Place on a wax-paper-lined tray until ganache sets. Serve.