From the August/September 2017 issue
- 2 TBSP extra-virgin olive oil, divided use
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, quartered
- 1 large apple, cored and thinly sliced
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 pound ground pork
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 TBSP maple syrup
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high.
- Add the Brussels sprouts, apple, and onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 2-3 minutes or until the sprouts and apples just start to brown.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook until the sprouts are just tender but still holding their shape, 3-4 minutes.
- Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- Return the skillet to medium heat.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Add the pork and cook, breaking up with a utensil, until no longer pink, 5-6 minutes. A
- dd the fennel seeds, onion powder, cumin, and garlic. Stir for 1 minute.
- Add the Brussels sprouts, apples, and onion back to the skillet and stir to combine.
- Stir in the maple syrup.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.