From the October/November 2016 issue
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2-1/2 to 3 cups cooked, chopped chicken (from about 1 pound cooked chicken breasts)
- 3 cups finely chopped kale
- 1 medium shallot, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries or raisins
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds or pumpkin seeds, toasted
- 3 TBSP extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 TBSP apple cider vinegar
- 1 TBSP honey
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Place 1 inch of water in the bottom of a medium pot fitted with a steamer basket.
- Add the sweet potato cubes.
- Steam for 5-10 minutes over medium heat until just tender but still holding shape.
- Transfer to a large bowl and gently mix in the chicken, kale, shallot, raisins, and almonds.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, honey, and garlic powder.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to coat.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3 days.