From the October/November 2017 issue
- 2 TBSP extra-virgin olive oil or coconut oil (plus more for greasing the pan)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped or grated
- 1 TBSP Italian seasoning (or any herb blend)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 6-8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 12 large eggs
- Chopped parsley, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Grease a 9×13-inch casserole dish with oil and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the beef and cook, breaking up with a utensil, until mostly browned and cooked through, 4-5 minutes. Add the carrots, onion, and zucchini. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 4-5 minutes. Add the garlic, seasoning, salt, and pepper. Stir for 1 minute. Stir in the bacon and remove from heat.
- Transfer the mixture to the greased casserole dish. Crack the eggs into a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until frothy, about 3 minutes. Pour the beaten eggs into the casserole dish.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes or until the eggs are set and cooked through in the middle. Let rest for 5 minutes before slicing and serving. Serve slices of the casserole topped with parsley, if desired.