Full of healthy fats and fiber, these mini chocolate cupcakes are a decadent treat that is quick and easy to make.
Makes 24 mini cupcakes
For the cupcakes:
- 1/3 cup virgin coconut oil
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
For the frosting:
- 1/2 cup (packed) pitted Medjool dates
- 2 medium ripe avocados, pitted
- 1/4 cup canned coconut milk (full fat)
- 3 TBSP unsweetened cocoa powder or raw cacao powder
- 2 TBSP honey, plus more to taste
- 1 tsp (packed) finely grated orange zest
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 24 fresh raspberries, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line 24 cups of a mini muffin pan with mini paper liners.
- In a small pot over low heat, whisk together the coconut oil, chocolate, honey, and coconut sugar until melted and smooth.
- Transfer to a large mixing bowl and let sit for about 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the coconut flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- With an electric mixer, beat the eggs into the chocolate mixture until combined. With the mixer running, gradually add the flour mixture and beat until fully combined.
- Spoon about 1 tablespoon of batter into each muffin cup, spreading the tops to be smooth. Bake for 13-15 minutes until a toothpick inserted into a cupcake comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting.
- To make the frosting, place the pitted dates in a bowl and cover with hot water. Soak for 10-30 minutes.
- Drain, and add the softened dates to the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade. Scoop the avocado flesh into the bowl and add the remaining frosting ingredients.
- Process until thick and smooth, stopping once or twice to scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- Frost your mini chocolate cupcakes with the frosting and garnish with raspberries.