Need a quick and easy weeknight meal? This Paleo Mushroom Bolognese is a lighter, grain-free version of traditional Bolognese with spiralized zucchini. The best part? It’s made in a fuss-free crockpot!
Prep: 10 minutes | Cooks: 2.5-3 hours | Yield: 8 servings
- 1 lb grass-fed beef or turkey
- ½ cup diced celery
- ½ cup white onion
- 1 T extra virgin olive oil
- 2 T red wine vinegar
- ½ cup organic vegetable broth
- 1 15-oz jar diced tomatoes, no salt added
- 1 8-oz jar tomato paste
- ¼ cup baby portobellos, chopped
- ¼ cup white mushrooms, chopped
- ¼ cup cremini mushrooms, chopped
- 1 T Italian seasoning
- ½ t crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup red wine (optional)
- 2 zucchini, spiralized
- Fresh basil, for serving
- In a crockpot, add extra virgin olive oil, meat, red wine vinegar, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, vegetable broth, celery, onion, Italian seasoning, crushed red pepper flakes, salt, pepper and red wine as desired.
- Turn crockpot on high. With a wooden spoon, break up the meat. Cook 1.5 hours on high until onions and celery are softened.
- Add baby portobellos, white and cremini mushrooms to the crockpot. Cook another 1-1.5 hours until the mushrooms are fully cooked.
- Serve immediately over spiralized zucchini and top with fresh basil.