- 1 spaghetti squash
- 2 lb (908 g) ground or minced beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 14.5 oz (410 g) can of diced tomato
- 1 cup (40 g) fresh basil, finely chopped
- 8 cloves of garlic, minced
- Coconut oil to cook with
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place 1-2 tablespoons of coconut oil into a large pot and saute the diced onion in the oil. Add the ground beef to the pot once the onions turn translucent.
- Once the meat is browned, add the diced tomatoes and simmer with the lid on for 30 minutes (simmer for 1 hour if you have time). Stir regularly to make sure it’s not sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Meanwhile, chop a spaghetti squash in half, remove the seeds, smother the insides with a thin layer of coconut oil (you can use your hands to do this), cover with a paper towel to avoid splattering, and microwave each spaghetti squash half for 6-7 minutes on high power. (Alternatively you can bake the coconut oil covered spaghetti squash halves in the oven at 375 F (190 C) for 45 minutes.)
- Use a fork to scratch out the spaghetti squash strands and divide them between 4 plates.
- Add the basil, garlic, salt, and pepper to taste to the meat sauce, cook for 5 more minutes, and spoon on top of the spaghetti squash.
- Calories: 450
- Sugar: 6
- Fat: 30
- Carbohydrates: 13
- Fiber: 5
- Protein: 45