- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil
- 1 zucchini, shredded or julienned
- 1 large sweet potato, shredded or julienned
- 1 cup (115 g) shredded rainbow carrots
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup (30 g) baby spinach, chopped
- 1 tablespoon (3 g) fresh or dried chives, minced
- 3 tablespoons (18 g) almond flour
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF (177ºC). In a large skillet over medium-high heat, drizzle the olive oil. Add the zucchini, sweet potato, carrots, onion, salt, garlic powder, onion powder and black pepper to the skillet.
- Sauté. the ingredients on medium-high for 10–15 minutes, shifting the vegetables regularly so that they do not burn. You want them to soften and for any excess moisture to evaporate prior to baking. Turn the heat to high if there is residual liquid in the pan. After the vegetables are cooked and starting to brown slightly, remove them from heat,
- allowing them to cool for a few minutes so that they do not cook the eggs.
- Once slightly cooled, add the eggs one at a time and stir into the vegetable mixture. Then add the spinach, chives and almond flour. Once combined thoroughly, pour mixture into a greased, 8 x 6 inch (20 x 15 cm) casserole dish. You may use a larger casserole dish, but you’ll need to adjust baking time accordingly.
- Now bake the mixture, uncovered for around 45 minutes, or until the center is set. If you choose to use a larger casserole dish, you may need less baking time. Allow the kugel to cool slightly before slicing into squares and serving.
Bubbe’s tip: Have another favorite veggie? Let your hair down, why not?! Add in a variety of other plants to customize your kugel. I won’t tell anyone, you rule-breaker!