- 1 Tablespoon lard or fat of choice
- ½ onion, diced
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 Tablespoons blackstrap molasses (optional)
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- ½ cup water
- 3 uncured hot dogs, sliced
- In large saucepan, melt the lard over medium heat. Add the onion and sweet potato, and sauté for 7 to 10 minutes or until the onion is translucent and the sweet potato begins to soften.
- Add the salt, tomato paste, and molasses, if using, and stir for 3 minutes. The result at this point will be a thick sauce.
- Pour in the tomatoes with their juices and water and reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer, covered, for 15 minutes until the “bean” sauce thickens the sweet potatoes are tender.
- Add the hot dog slices and cook for 5 minutes, until heated through. Spoon into bowls and serve. This dish keeps well chilled and reheats perfectly for lunches all week long.
If sauce gets too thick before the sweet potatoes are cooked through, add ¼ cup of water at a time until you achieve the desired consistency. If the sauce is too watery, remove the lid and let it cook down to the desired consistency.