As we approach the holidays, prepare to impress the whole family and whip up a gluten-free sweet potato casserole! Topped with a crust of chopped pecans and coconut flakes for added crunch, this sweet and savory homemade dish is sure to be a hit.
- 6 large sweet potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 1 TBSP butter or ghee
- 2 TBSP pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes
- 1 TBSP butter or ghee, melted
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease a medium-sized glass dish or casserole dish with coconut oil or butter. Set aside.
- Fill a large pot with the sweet potatoes and enough water to come up a few inches above the potatoes. Place over high heat and bring to a boil. Turn the heat down to medium, cover, and cook for 15–20 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork-tender. Drain and place the potatoes back into the pot.
- Using a potato masher or hand mixer, mash the potatoes until fairly smooth. Add the coconut milk, butter, maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Mash and mix until the potatoes are smooth and the ingredients are well combined. Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish.
- To make the topping, combine the pecans, coconut flakes, butter and salt in a small bowl. Mix well, then spoon the topping evenly over the prepared sweet potatoes. Bake 30–35 minutes or until topping is golden brown. Serve.