On this week’s show we host Joy Stephenson-Laws, author of Minerals: The Forgotten Nutrient. Joy also works at Proactive Health Labs and is here to help us understand the important role minerals play in our nutrition and general health. A lot of focus is often given to vitamins and macronutrients, but as you will see from our chat, the micronutrients of minerals, both in whole foods and as supplements, are vital to living a happy and vibrant life. In our discussion, we cover some basics around the role of minerals in the body and go on to identifying and testing for deficiencies and excesses. We talk symptoms, basic rules, absorption, mineral balancing, and much more. So be sure to listen!
CLICK HERE for the full transcript.
Key Points From This Episode:
- An introduction to how minerals fit into a healthy diet.
- A balanced diet to build resilience to challenges to our health.
- Understanding what minerals are and how they work in our bodies.
- Testing for deficiencies and excesses of minerals.
- Finding minerals in our diet versus looking to supplements.
- Recognizing the symptoms that often inform us of a deficiency.
- Basic, common sense rules for a mineral rich diet.
- Our bodies’ natural ability to absorb important nutrients.
- The important role that sodium plays when balanced correctly with potassium.
- The particular relationships that the body relies on between sets of minerals.
- The differences between absorbing minerals from whole foods or from supplements.
- The effects of medications on our mineral and nutrient levels in general.
- Looking at the links between our mineral intake and our mental states and depression.
- Helpful nutrients found in common spices.
- And much more!
“It’s important to understand that there are six basic nutrients and they’re carbohydrates, proteins, fats, water, vitamins, and minerals..” — Joy Stephenson-Laws [0:05:54.8]
“We want to keep ourselves in the best position possible and in the best health possible, so that we can stave off depression, so that we reduce the likelihood of getting sick.” — Joy Stephenson-Laws [0:08:31.9]
Links Mentioned in This Episode:
Joy Stephenson-Laws — https://www.mindbodygreen.com/wc/joy-stephenson-laws
SHARE YOUR LOVE FOR PMR AND YOU CAN ENTER TO WIN SOME GREAT PALEO SWAG!
It’s easy, simply post a review of PMR on iTunes and fill out our quick Registration Form and you’ll be entered to win your choice of 4 great books and a Paleo Magazine vinyl decal!
One winner will be randomly chosen each week.