This week, we’re joined by Dr. Randi Epstein, author of Aroused: The History of Hormones, which approaches hormones in a conversational and approachable way, looking at the subject from a historical and practical standpoint. We chat about Dr. Epstein’s background and how she ended up in this field. Then we dive into the book, its creation, and its content. Finally, we spend some time covering the subject of menopause before discussing some ideas around diet, nutrition, and weight gain. For a vastly informative chat, be sure to tune in!
CLICK HERE FOR FULL TRANSCRIPT
Key Points From This Episode:
- Dr. Epstein’s background and experience.
- The process of writing and putting together the book’s content.
- The relative newness of the study of hormones.
- The evolution and culmination of this new field of study during the 20th century.
- Applying and utilizing the information in Aroused in a practical way.
- The supplementation of certain hormones and questions around purchasing them.
- Hormone therapy during menopause and the chapter that deals with this.
- Hot flashes and their connection to our hormonal system.
- The correlation between stress levels and our hormones.
- Chronic cases of stress and fatigue and our cortisol levels.
- How our hormones influence our appetite and diet.
- Differentiating weight issues as hormonal versus other reasons.
- Historic sexism in the medical profession.
- Dr. Epstein’s upcoming tour for the book.
- And much more!
“My particular focus has always really been on cultural influences on medicine.” — @randihepstein [0:07:09.3]
“It is really rare that people just increase their exercise and haven’t changed their diet and can really shed those pounds.” — @randihepstein [0:52:48.9]
SHARE YOUR LOVE FOR PMR AND YOU CAN ENTER TO WIN SOME GREAT PALEO SWAG!
It’s easy, simply post a review of PMR on iTunes and fill out our quick Registration Form and you’ll be entered to win your choice of 4 great books and a Paleo Magazine vinyl decal!
One winner will be randomly chosen each week.
Check out this episode!