We wanted to start this new year off with a bang, so today we are joined by an awesome guest. Dr. Dom D’Agostino is an associate professor with tenure at the University of South Florida. He also teaches at the Morsani College of Medicine and the Department of Molecular Pharmacology and Physiology with a focus on topics like neuropharmacology, medical biochemistry, physiology, and neuroscience. Dr. D’Agostino is an early pioneer of exogenous ketone supplements and ketogenic therapies. Dom is also a super down-to-earth and friendly human being. In this conversation, Dom shares info on his incredible research projects with us, including working with astronauts and Navy SEAL divers at the bottom of the ocean. So if you nerd out on anything to do with nutrition, diet, and keto, this is an episode you don’t want to miss!
Key Points From This Episode:
- Dom’s keto version of a Thanksgiving Day meal.
- How Dom tests out new keto foods for thorough results.
- An inside look into Dom’s experience on the Joe Rogan Podcast.
- Dom’s approach to sharing his knowledge about the ketogenic diet.
- How genetics influence your individual adaptation and response to a diet.
- Understanding how a ketogenic diet can make a person more resilient.
- Using nutritional ketosis as a performance resilience strategy.
- The current studies that Dom is doing with the army and NASA.
- Applying ketogenic principles to both hypo and hyperbaric environments.
- The logistics and calculations of sending food to Mars.
- Dom’s experience living underwater with astronauts for 10 days.
- The current state of mainstream keto supplements and their value.
- Adopting a ketogenic diet for peri- and postmenopausal women.
- Importance of paying attention to total calorie intake on a keto diet.
- Determining the best keto re-feed or cycling schedule for you.
- When a ketogenic diet might not be advisable.
- Recognizing when your body does not tolerate a high-fat diet.
- Challenges that Dom foresee’s with the keto diet becoming so mainstream.
- The reset benefits of going into a ketogenic state periodically.
- And much more!
“I predict in the next few years that it will be recognized that a ketogenic diet, defined as a diet that increases your ketones, will be favorable for body composition changes and also for fat loss.” — @NutritionKeto [0:17:37.1]
“I lived underwater for 10 days and worked with astronauts.” — @NutritionKeto [0:32:37.1]
“A lot of people may obsess over different types of foods and even macronutrient ratios and things like that, but they don’t really monitor total calorie intake.” — @NutritionKeto [0:57:48.1]
“Your appetite regulation is more controllable when you are on keto.” — @NutritionKeto [0:59:26.1]
Links Mentioned in This Episode:
Dr. Dom D’Agostino — https://www.ketonutrition.org/
Joe Rogan Podcast — http://podcasts.joerogan.net/
Tim Ferriss Show — https://tim.blog/podcast/
Bonafide Provisions, code: onlybones — https://www.bonafideprovisions.com/
Keto Nutrition Blog — https://www.ketonutrition.org/blog/
ButcherBox — https://www.butcherbox.com/
Layne Norton — https://www.biolayne.com/
Office of Naval Research — https://www.onr.navy.mil/
The Charlie Foundation — https://charliefoundation.org/
First Do No Harm — https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118526/
Valter Longo Longevity Diet — https://valterlongo.com/daily-longevity-diet/
The Metabolic Health Summit — https://metabolichealthsummit.com/
SHARE YOUR LOVE FOR PMR AND YOU CAN ENTER TO WIN SOME GREAT PALEO SWAG!
It’s easy, simply post a review of PMR on iTunes and fill out our quick Registration Form and you’ll be entered to win your choice of 4 great books and a Paleo Magazine vinyl decal!
One winner will be randomly chosen each week.