For today’s episode, we are so happy to welcome back Yemeni Mesa! For those unfamiliar, Yemeni has spent many years and most of his life in the health, fitness and nutrition world and since his career in competitive bodybuilding in the 1990s has started and worked on several notable and influencing paleo food brands. He also has a new company called Heka Good Foods, dedicated to creating delicious keto snacks and bars with all the ingredients you really want! In our conversation today, we are focussing Yemeni’s expertise around ingredients, particularly those confusing lists you find on supposedly healthy foods and items at the store. We discuss sugars, fibers, net carbs and more so that you can know what you are really getting in the foods you buy. Yemeni breaks down allulose, stevia, erythritol, Sucralose and more!
Do yourself a favor and go check out our great new show sponsor’s shoes! Xero Shoes, they produce healthy, barefoot-like comfort for the longevity of your feet and the rest of your body too. They are offering a free foot massage mat with any purchase over $30 so head on over to xeroshoes.com!
Key Points From This Episode:
- Yemeni’s life long dedication to fitness and nutrition that led to working in the space.
- Breaking into the keto market before it was well-known and in fashion.
- Talking about Arnold Schwarzenegger going vegan!
- How Yemeni found the keto diet and has never looked back.
- Targeted ketosis and the different levels of carbs for different bodies.
- When to possibly fuel with carbs in relation to workouts.
- How Yemeni has incorporated fasting in different forms over the years to great effect.
- The empowering feeling of successfully carrying out a fast over an extended period of time.
- The burgeoning markets for keto and paleo snacks and what this means for consumers.
- Some of the sweeteners and fibers to look out in keto products.
- A few of the better variations on keto fibers and sweeteners.
- Blending different forms of sweeteners for a good balance with a product.
- Yemeni’s thoughts on allulose and defining exactly what it is.
- Working out the net carbs of any particular product from the label.
- And much more!
“I am very lucky that I was able to develop and build a career around my passions.” — @knowbetterfoods [0:11:46.4]
“My approach has evolved quite a bit from how it started back then and will continue to evolve I would imagine.” — @knowbetterfoods [0:22:51.8]
“Being in deep ketosis requires that I limit my protein consumption and by limiting my protein consumption for an extended period of time, I end up losing muscle and strength.” — @knowbetterfoods [0:24:18.2]
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
Xero Shoes — https://xeroshoes.com
Yemeni Mesa — https://www.yemenimesa.net
Heka Good Foods — https://hekagoodfoods.com
Yemeni Mesa on IG — https://www.instagram.com/keto_head/?hl=en
MET-Rx — https://www.metrx.com
Quest Nutrition — https://www.questnutrition.com
Know Foods — https://knowfoods.com/
Episode 193 with Yemeni Mesa — https://podcasts.apple.com/gh/podcast/pmr-193-be-keto-have-your-cookies-too-talking-president/id592596408?i=1000397165232
Dr. Scott Connelly — http://www.faktor-fx.com/the-science/dr-connelly
James Cameron — https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000116/
Peter Attia — https://peterattiamd.com/
Dom D’Agostino — https://www.ketonutrition.org
Matt Brown — https://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Matt-Brown-14310
Joe Rogan — http://podcasts.joerogan.net/
TJ Dillashaw — https://www.sherdog.com/fighter/TJ-Dillashaw-62507
Episode 221 with TJ Dillashaw — https://podcasts.apple.com/gh/podcast/pmr-221-fueling-for-fight-how-ufc-mixed-martial-artist/id592596408?i=1000415156332
Splenda — https://www.splenda.com
KetoCon — https://www.ketocon.org/ketocon-2020/
|This episode is sponsored by Xero Shoes. They produce healthy, barefoot-like comfort for the longevity of your feet and the rest of your body too. They are offering a free foot massage mat with any purchase over $30 so head on over to xeroshoes.com!
SHARE YOUR LOVE FOR PMR AND YOU CAN ENTER TO WIN SOME GREAT PALEO SWAG!
It’s easy, simply post a review of PMR on iTunes and fill out our quick Registration Form and you’ll be entered to win your choice of 4 great books and a Paleo Magazine vinyl decal!
One winner will be randomly chosen each week.