This is a momentous occasion for Paleo Magazine Radio because today’s show marks our 300th episode milestone, and we are incredibly pumped about that. We are super proud of having come this far, and also madly thankful to all our listeners for their constant support. This show has had 1.1 million downloads to date, so knowing how many people love it makes all the effort we put in totally worth it. In celebration of such an epic moment, it seemed fitting to bring you a tribute episode today, a show which brings together some of the most memorable and insightful conversations we have had so far. Joining us, you will get a chance to hear the best of our interviews with Dr. Ron Ehrlich, Beth Lipton, Erwan Le Corre, Dr. Dom D’Agostino, Cal Newport, and Stephen Le.
If you have listened to any of the full-lengths of those past shows, you’ll surely agree that the topics we spoke about are mind-blowing and certainly worth a revisit. This episode covers ideas of holistic health, fitness and food obsessions, the Natural Movement Movement, the keto diet in outer space, our fraught relationship with technology, and eating like our ancestors. Happy 300 episodes, and enjoy today’s show which is just packed to the brim with some of the best goodness yet.
Key Points From This Episode:
- Today’s plan: to highlight the best episodes of 2019 in celebration of the 300th PMR podcast.
- Understanding the connections between oral and general health with Dr. Ron Ehrlich.
- The common denominator in all chronic diseases: chronic inflammation.
- Dangerous connections between diet, health, and fitness obsessions with Beth Lipton.
- How strange is it to cut your weight and then confront a panel of judges in a weakened state.
- Loss of fluency with natural movement and how to get it back with Erwan Le Corre.
- Our biological duty to move capably and the benefits of being able to do so.
- The efficiency of the keto diet in extreme situations with Dr. Dom D’Agostino.
- How fat has a high energy-to-weight ratio and keeps you fuller for longer.
- The immense capability astronauts have and Dr. D’Agostino’s experience working with them.
- Challenges around getting keto space mission diets approved by NASA ethics committees.
- How Cal Newport’s book helps people use tech to build more meaningful, analog lives.
- Facebook’s restructuring of its UX with ‘like’ buttons, et cetera, in order to get a higher IPO.
- People’s misgivings around tech seen as the result of apps changing over time.
- Reasons for the untenability of the ‘walled-in internet’ model Facebook uses.
- An exploration of the ancestral origins of our food preferences with Stephen Le.
- Theories for why some people like spicy food, related to psychology and sterilization.
- An argument for being more wary of associating vegetables with good health.
“When was the last time you did a handstand or a summersault, or walked or balanced barefoot on a log, or picked up an oddly shaped object? These are things our bodies are meant to do but we just don’t do them very much.” — Ashleigh VanHouten [0:22:25.1]
“Facebook for a while had a market cap that was twice that of ExxonMobil, meaning the value in extracting time and attention from people’s heads was twice as valuable as extracting oil and natural gas from the ground.” — @StudyHacksBlog [0:58:49.1]
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
Paleo Magazine Radio with Dr. Elly Michelle — https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/paleo-magazine-radio/e/65746267?autoplay=true
Paleo Magazine Radio with Sara Fragoso — https://paleomagazine.libsyn.com/saying-goodbye-to-everyday-paleo-with-sarah-fragoso-a-pmr-special-report
Paleo Magazine Radio with Dr. Ron Ehrlich — https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/the-celiac-maniac-show/paleo-magazine-radio/e/63957761
Paleo Magazine Radio with Beth Lipton — https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/the-celiac-maniac-show/paleo-magazine-radio/e/59929825
The Practice of Natural Movement on Amazon — https://www.amazon.com/Practice-Natural-Movement-Reclaim-Freedom/dp/162860283X
Paleo Magazine Radio with Erwan Le Corre — https://paleomagazine.libsyn.com/pmr-258-learning-from-erwan-le-corre-the-godfather-of-natural-movement
Paleo Magazine Radio with Dr. Dom D’Agostino —http://paleomagazine.libsyn.com/pmr-246-studying-physical-and-mental-resilience-in-astronauts-navy-seal-divers-and-everyone-in-between-with-dr-dom-dagostino
Paleo Magazine Radio with Cal Newport — http://paleomagazine.libsyn.com/pmr-252-decluttering-your-mind-and-tech-with-cal-newport
Digital Minimalism on Amazon — https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Minimalism-Choosing-Focused-Noisy/dp/0525536515
Paleo Magazine Radio with Stephen Le — http://paleomagazine.libsyn.com/pmr-254-everything-you-dont-know-about-ancestral-eating-health-and-culture-with-stephen-le
100 Million Years of Food on Amazon — https://www.amazon.com/100-Million-Years-Food-Ancestors/dp/1250050413
Ashleigh VanHouten Email — firstname.lastname@example.org
SHARE YOUR LOVE FOR PMR AND YOU CAN ENTER TO WIN SOME GREAT PALEO SWAG!
It’s easy, simply post a review of PMR on iTunes and fill out our quick Registration Form and you’ll be entered to win your choice of 4 great books and a Paleo Magazine vinyl decal!
One winner will be randomly chosen each week.