Serve this sweet and sour Paleo chutney as a side, garnish, or topping at Christmas dinner!
Makes 2 cups
- 1 TBSP coconut oil
- 2 medium red onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tsp mixed spice or pumpkin pie spice
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 lb fresh figs, stalks removed, quartered
- Melt the coconut oil in a large skillet set over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and lightly caramelized, 4-6 minutes.
- Add the vinegar, sugar, lemon zest and juice, spice, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then turn the heat down to medium-low and simmer for 30 minutes, or until the mixture has thickened into a syrup.
- Add in the figs and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes, or until the figs are soft and have broken down slightly. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Spoon the chutney into sterilized jars, cover with lids, and allow to cool completely before refrigerating until ready to use. Use within 4 weeks.