From the October/November 2015 issue
- 1 medium head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 TBSP coconut oil
- 1 medium shallot, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 TBSP finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 tsp ground or freshly grated nutmeg
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Chicken broth, as needed (optional)
- Place 1 inch of water in the bottom of a medium pot fitted with a steamer basket.
- Add the cauliflower and carrots.
- Steam over medium-high heat until the vegetables are just tender, 12–15 minutes.
- While the vegetables steam, heat coconut oil in a small skillet over medium heat.
- Add the shallot and cook, stirring often, for 2–3 minutes.
- Add the garlic, thyme and nutmeg. Stir for 1 minute.
- Transfer to a food processor fitted with the steel blade.
- Add the steamed vegetables, and salt and pepper to taste. Purée until smooth, adding chicken broth if a thinner purée is desired.