From the April/May 2017 issue
For the shrimp:
- 1/4 cup canned coconut milk (full fat)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice (from about 1 orange)
- 2 TBSP fresh lime juice (from about 2 limes)
- 1 TBSP hot sauce
- 2 tsp coconut aminos
- 1 pound large (31-40 count) shrimp, peeled and deveined
For the avocado cream:
- 2 medium ripe avocados, pitted
- 1/2 cup canned coconut milk (full fat)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 TBSP fresh lime juice
- 2 TBSP fresh parsley or cilantro
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
For the cauliflower rice:
- 2 medium heads cauliflower, cored and cut into florets
- 1 TBSP extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves, finely grated
- 1 (1-inch) piece fresh ginger root, finely grated
- 2 TBSP coconut aminos
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 cup diced pineapple
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley or cilantro
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
Prepare the shrimp:
- In a large bowl or resealable bag, combine the coconut milk, water, orange juice, lime juice, and hot sauce.
- Add the shrimp and mix to coat.
- Cover the bowl or seal the bag and refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- Just before you’re ready to grill the shrimp, prepare the cauliflower rice and avocado cream.
Make the avocado cream:
- combine all cream ingredients in a blender or food processor.
- Puree until smooth.
- Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
Make the cauliflower rice:
- Pulse the cauliflower florets in a food processor until the texture is rice-like. (Do this in batches.)
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the “riced” cauliflower and onion.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, for 6-8 minutes.
- Add the garlic and stir for 1 minute.
- Add the ginger, coconut aminos, and sesame oil. Stir to combine.
- Stir in the pineapple and parsley.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat and cover to keep warm.
Make the Shrimp Skewers:
- Heat a grill to medium-high.
- Remove the shrimp from the marinade (reserving the marinade) and thread onto grilling skewers.
- Oil the grill grates.
- Grill the shrimp for 2-3 minutes, brushing with the marinade occasionally.
- Flip and grill for 2-3 minutes, brushing with the marinade occasionally, until cooked through.
*Serve the cauliflower rice with the shrimp skewers and the avocado cream for spooning on top.